Junot Diaz, You've Just Won the Pulitzer... What Are You Going to Do Now?

Last summer, after turning over the last page of my advance galley of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, I was floored by what I had just read and used any gathering of two or more people to announce to the world that it was my favorite novel of 2007. "You mean, so far?" No, the year. I was going all-in, even with a whole fall season of unread books in front of me.

So you can imagine how over-the-moon happy I was for Diaz last Monday when I heard that he'd won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. When I asked his editor, Sean McDonald, if he could help us get a few post-Pulitzer questions into Junot's inbox, I didn't expect Diaz would actually have the time to deliver (he'd just won the Pulitzer, after all!). But deliver he did, and along with the answers, he threw us the ultimate surprise--the opening passage (or what he calls "throat clearing") from the seemingly post-apocalyptic new book he's working on. Does this mean there's a Hugo Award in his future? We shall see...

--BTP

Amazon.com: Junot, first of all, congratulations! You've been on quite a ride since Oscar Wao came out last fall. You were awarded the Sargent First Novel Prize, won the National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction, topped countless Best of 2007 lists, and now the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. Where were you when you found out you won the Pulitzer?

Diaz: I actually was in my mother's house in NJ. (Which, when you think about it, was where it all started for me, as an immigrant, as a young lover of books, in NJ.) The first call I could barely hear (my two-year-old nephew was having a bang-up time throwing his toys) so I went outside, out by the Hackensack River and called my agent, who hadn't yet gotten the official word. The real confirmation came ten minutes later. I was still on the bridge, freezing, and after a few minutes of stunned silence, just me and the traffic and the cattails, I walked home and gathered my mother and my sister and told them and I don't think I've ever seen them happier for me (though my mother did cry a little). My nephew was the best, he didn't give a damn about no Pulitzer, he just wanted me to chase him.

Amazon.com: I read online that "Diaz is not the first Latino to win the prize, but he is certainly the first cat from the streets to do so." How does that make you feel?

Diaz: I didn't have an easy childhood (who ever does?). I grew up super-poor, welfare, section 8 and food stamps all the way, in a community where us boys worried all the time about getting jumped and where mad people got recruited by the military. My mother was raising five kids on an income that didn't break ten grand a couple of years. She cleaned houses for people a lot better off than us and I still have this image of her on her hands and knees cleaning bathrooms. I'm as nerdy as they come, a deep lover of books, but those long hard years marked me as deeply as that river marked Conrad and maybe that's what the writer means when they say that I'm "from the street." If that's what the writer's getting at then I'll take it, I've no interest in erasing my particular version of the "American Experience." But if this is some hollow ghetto glorification... I didn't think I was so cool when I only had three shirts in high school and had to repeat twice a week. I didn't feel too "street" then. I felt like a goddamn loser.

Amazon.com: And what's it like to share the Pulitzer spotlight with Bob Dylan, who was awarded an honorary special citation?

Diaz: I'm one book, he's a lifetime. It feels great to be in such company. Now if somebody could score my goddaughters some tickets, I'll be the coolest godfather ever.

Amazon.com: Do all the awards make the over-a-decade gap between books worth the wait?

Diaz: The only thing that makes anything worth it is another book that moves people. But hey, in the meantime, the awards certainly keep you warm, psychically! No denying that.

Amazon.com: Hopefully we won't have to wait until 2017 until the next book?

Diaz: If I was the only writer in the world this would be a problem but luckily we have tens of thousands of cool writers to take the weight off. No matter who you're waiting for to publish I recommend a strong course of Samuel R. Delany (start with Dark Reflections and then graduate to his magnum opus Dhalgren) and my favorite crazy woman Natsuo Kirino (Grotesque). Always something on the shelves to keep you busy.

Amazon.com: Can you give us a little tease of what you're working on next?

Diaz: Oh sure, why not, who knows when it will ever see the light of day again. This is some opening throat-clearing from my next novel Dark America.

I'm somewhere in the Zone, traveling on top of an transport. Bound for City.

The only City there is.

What I see. Usually just the f-ckedup hide of the truck.  Every now and then I lift my head a little and see the other Travellers sucked onto the metal of the container like remora.  See the fresca from the night before, long hair whipping back in thousands of everchanging streams. See: fields of white crosses, an endless proliferation of kudzu, a basketball game between the Junior Klan and the Uncle Muhammed Youth League--a regular five on five with a ref and everything so you know we're in the End Times for real. And sometimes, if I'm not careful, I see my mother and my brother standing by the edge of the road. She has her hand on his shoulder and they still got snow clotting up the spaces between their toes. They're waving. Since the transport is automated it switches its lights on only when it detects another vehicle or when we're in civilization but at night on the interstates it feels like we're rushing through a corridor of whooshing air as unlit as a vein. We pass cities and zonafrancas and fortress towns and overhead roar fighter jets and gunships and every now and then the transport will squash something on the road. A rumble under the tires and then the return to the lullaby of the whoosh as whatever it is gets spat out behind the mud flaps in ruin.

I don't try to look around too much. We are going over a hundred miles an hour and there is a little indio kid on my left who I'm trying to keep from blowing off the top of the transport. About an hour ago his pops lost his grip on him and screamed one of those miserable Noooo's that reaches into even me and before the kid could catch sky I leaned over and pulled him in. You should have heard his little heart, seen his little face. Stupid, attracting attention. A Samaritan I'm not. Believe me. I could just as easily have watched the kid sail and said, Wepa!

At times like these, even hardguys like me, all we should do is hold on. Plenty folks get peeled off the transports, especially kids and the thins, turned into axle grease which is why these rigs are plastered with signs in English, Spanish, Krïol, Cantonese, Hmong, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Russian and Ghanaian: Stay The F-ck Off. Sometimes the local youth--when they're not immbolized on huff or bending each other over--will man the overpasses and drop debris on us, anything from bricks and firecrackers to hot oil and glass, get it all on ractives so they can spin the shit for laughs onto the net. The life of the Traveller, as they say, no es fácil. You should see how tired folks are after only a couple of hours on a transport. Praying for the next reforge, their arms trembling and these are the ones who got lucky and scored a roof spot. The ones who got to cling to the side rigging, muchacho, they're lucky if they're alive by the time we reach a depot.

neuroflexyn

Posted by: davidjohn | Saturday January 24, 2015 at 11:28 PM

This posting is marvelous and what a fantastic research that you have done. It has helped me a lot. thank you very much. Feel free to visit my buy portfolio lighting site......

Posted by: value hosting | Monday January 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Posted by: arturia pendragon | Friday January 9, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Posted by: kayla itsines | Friday January 9, 2015 at 12:11 AM

Why do you guys still think that photoshopping Ackbar into stuff is funny?

Posted by: www.redbuttonsolver.com | Monday January 5, 2015 at 4:01 AM

Why do you guys still think that photoshopping Ackbar into stuff is funny?

Posted by: cheap punching bag stand | Wednesday December 31, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I only had three shirts in high school and had to repeat twice a week.

Posted by: Veronica Walton | Wednesday December 31, 2014 at 2:09 AM

Its nice to find a blog thats written by a human, rather than autoposting garbage. The detail .....

Posted by: food catering | Wednesday December 31, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Posted by: Girokonto Vergleich | Monday December 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Posted by: tarçın çayı, zayıflama çayı | Saturday December 20, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Find out everything you need to know about the newest and hottest workout guide in this review of the kayla itsines bikini body guide!

Posted by: Kayla Itsines | Saturday December 20, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Posted by: assicurazione auto | Monday December 15, 2014 at 3:16 AM

but you forgot to consider your readers. I read it but I still have a few questions. Send me an email and we will talk more because I ma

Posted by: web traffic increase | Saturday December 13, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Posted by: yellow gold engagement rings | Thursday December 11, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Posted by: contractor websites | Monday December 8, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Posted by: No Win No Fee | Saturday December 6, 2014 at 3:19 AM

Posted by: Free PDF Links | Saturday December 6, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Posted by: No Win No Fee | Monday December 1, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Posted by: Accident Claim | Wednesday November 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Seriously, if I managed to do something in those years, Australia played a crucial role and I am still thankful to you and your beautiful country. Everybody in diplomatic corp who knows me knows that Australia is my second country.

Posted by: panvoya | Tuesday October 28, 2014 at 12:54 AM

I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . .

Posted by: Greg Aziz | Saturday October 25, 2014 at 2:36 AM

We are depend in internet now and we some times forget how much time with put on computer. so it is time to face it and believe it is not for our good and we need to justify . even online dating is not our last solutions if we dont meet in person

Posted by: boost my test | Sunday October 19, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Posted by: amazon venezuela | Sunday October 19, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Posted by: Adult Traffic | Saturday October 18, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Posted by: analisis papyre 630 | Tuesday October 14, 2014 at 6:06 AM

Posted by: amazon venezuela | Saturday October 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Posted by: 40th Birthday Party Ideas | Friday October 10, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I am a great fan of his books and its kind of hard to get at least his webpage, which I did found but you cannot .,...

Posted by: 40th Birthday Party Ideas | Friday October 10, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I thank you to help making people more aware of possible issueExcellent stuff as typical.,, http://sextonbender.com/

Posted by: http://sextonbender.com/ | Saturday October 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM

garantizar que el cliente obtiene lo que buscaba de su pagina web o aplicacion web. Tambien ofrecemos los mejores servidores para el alojamiento web a un precio muy economico. Nuestra gama de desarrollo de aplicaciones se extiende a un gran numero de sectores como la restauracion, del motor, de portales de anuncios gratuitos y de pago, de redes sociales, de artistas, de turismo, de publicidad, de impresion,

Posted by: Fele Online | Tuesday September 23, 2014 at 2:07 AM

Posted by: Fele Online | Tuesday September 23, 2014 at 1:55 AM

Posted by: USA Entry Waiver | Saturday September 20, 2014 at 2:42 AM

I would like to hank you for the efforts you put in writing website. I'm hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the future also. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own website going now. Really blogging is spreading its wings and growing

Posted by: Atmos RX Vape Pen | Wednesday September 17, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I sense evaluating black and white digital photography with it's movie equivalent is similar to assessing apples with grapefruits.

Posted by: view homepage | Friday September 5, 2014 at 11:22 PM

One nice thing about being the first company to buy the vehicles is that Robichaud is fairly much engaged in any style.

Posted by: resource | Friday September 5, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Posted by: data recovery software | Thursday August 28, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Posted by: data recovery software | Thursday August 28, 2014 at 6:19 AM

Posted by: cheap brochure printing | Thursday August 28, 2014 at 2:47 AM

I would like to contact directly Junot Diaz, I am a great fan of his books and its kind of hard to get at least his webpage.

Posted by: Blog de l’économie automobile | Thursday August 28, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Posted by: Blog de l’économie automobile | Thursday August 28, 2014 at 1:14 AM

Posted by: Blog de l’économie automobile | Thursday August 28, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Thank you for this wonderful post. I made mine using Bernat Soy yarn in sugar cane during a long road trip. Turn out beautiful.

Posted by: http://www.telelistas.net/locais/sp/sao+paulo/consultores+de+empresas/266872172/brl+trust+servicos+fiduciarios+e+participacoes | Thursday August 7, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Posted by: BRL Trust | Thursday August 7, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Welcome to the SmallFuel community! I’m really glad you like the collection—I’m sure you’ll enjoy all of the articles as well.

Posted by: http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/esportes,corinthians-cede-concessao-do-itaquerao-para-investidor,1126507,0.htm | Thursday August 7, 2014 at 12:46 AM

I would like to contact directly Junot Diaz, I am a great fan of his books and its kind of hard to get at least his webpage, which I did found but you cannot post comments.

Posted by: news | Saturday July 26, 2014 at 5:44 AM

Posted by: ninja blender lid | Sunday July 20, 2014 at 2:20 AM

I found this post very exciting. I think you will have any other post on this topic? I am also sending it to my friend to enjoy your working style

Posted by: afval | Saturday July 19, 2014 at 10:50 PM