That Mesmerizing Laura Bush Cover

In the Daily News yesterday I mentioned, in an offhand way, my fascination with the cover for Laura Bush's upcoming memoir, Spoken from the Heart. It touched a nerve with a few readers and emailers (which the Daily News posts don't usually), so let's just post it right here.

What do you think? I can't decide if it's gorgeous or horrible, but I lean toward gorgeous, in a weirdly inhuman way. It certainly doesn't look like your usual celebrity cover, with the muted blue and brown tones and the tasteful but not quite traditional font of her name. And that photo! Her coiffed hair, and that crazy collar, just enough out of focus that it looks like it's made of some space-age synthetic. The former First Lady has always been a bit of a mysterious figure, beloved by many and appealing to some who don't like her husband, to the point that a bestselling novel was written from inside her imagined mind, and this only increases the mystique.

I haven't seen a copy in person yet, and I have no idea what the book itself will be like. I expect Curtis Sittenfeld will have something to say about it.  --Tom

P.S. Meanwhile, folks are having fun with her husband's new cover.

I had the same initial reaction as Chuck: Laura the Stepford Wife. Or Laura the Android. I'm sure not the reaction that she would have hoped for. The publishers certainly did her a disservice. And I don't like, and don't want to like, the Bushes.

Posted by: Mike | Friday April 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Horrible. Maybe if the collar weren't up or if it wasn't so airbrushed, but it's awful. Creepy. And she's a woman I really want to like, so I don't say this out of any animosity.

Posted by: Doreen | Wednesday April 28, 2010 at 7:27 PM

reminds me of The Stepford Wives.

Posted by: Chuck | Wednesday April 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Western Reader - you are kidding, right?

Is it just me or does she look like the count from Sesame Street?

"One! One violation of the constitution. Two! Two violations of the constitution. Ah. Ah. Ah."

Posted by: Jeffro Freeman | Wednesday April 28, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Creepy eyes.

Posted by: db | Wednesday April 28, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Interesting cover ... Mrs. Bush appears as young and vivacious as those lovely ladies who sell cosmetics on TV ... airbrushed to the nth degree. She's a lovely woman in her own right, and I would prefer to see her as she really is. She doesn't need the tweaks that are apparent in the photo. Having seen Oliver Stone's "W" (and thinking that perhaps it was a fairly accurate portrayal) makes me want to read her side of the story.

Posted by: Western Reader | Wednesday April 28, 2010 at 7:12 AM

I have no idea what the book itself will be like

Posted by: caricature | Wednesday April 28, 2010 at 12:55 AM