Breaking News: 2010 Hugo Awards Announced

As announced on GeekDad and elsewhere, Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl and China Mieville's The City & The City have tied for the prestigious Hugo Award for best SF novel, as announced at the World SF Convention in Melbourne, Australia, earlier today. For a full list of winners, check out this link.

Mieville's novel made Amazon's Top 100 list last year and the author guest-blogged here at Omnivoracious. Bacigalupi's novel was featured by Lev Grossman on his Top 10 for Time.

Thanks Jeff for that heads up I read the Windup Girl and haven't yet read Mrs. Mieville's The City and The City but surely will now.

Posted by: KindleClay | Sunday September 5, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Mieville's The City and The City but surely will now.

Posted by: 怀淰@^过厾 | Sunday September 5, 2010 at 11:52 PM

China Mieville is a dude...

Posted by: Owen | Monday September 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Oh, cool, that she is a he.... must happen to him all the time! lol.

Posted by: KindleClay | Monday September 6, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Unbelievable that a young adult p.o.s & a whatever tied for the HUGO!
"The Windup Girl" is on par w/the teenie "Twilight' series & "The City" is a pale imitation of Ian McDonald's "Dervish House".
Having read all nominees, I find it unbelieavable that "WWW.Wake" wasn't the winner! Of course, I also find most of the last decade's winners unbelievable.
Another once great award (see the Nobel)trashed!

Posted by: MikeD | Tuesday September 7, 2010 at 9:34 PM

----
Yes, I'll never forget when Chabon won! I couldn't believe he got the Hugo for that Yiddish Policeman... unreal.

But in a world where the lord of the rings movie wins best picture at the Academy Awards anything can happen!

Posted by: KindleClay | Wednesday September 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Kindleclay,

I'll grant you Harry Potter instead of The Sky Road was an awful choice. But Neil Stephenson, Neil Gaiman, Vernor Vinge and now China Mieville have all been worthy winners. I'd also contend the pool of nominees (including Charlie Stross, John Scalzi, Ian McDonald, Iain M. Banks, Robert Charles Wilson, Ken MacLeod, Dan Simmons and Cory Doctorow) has been nearly as strong as in the 60's and 70's.
And it is not like they got it right every year then, either. Samuel Delaney never won, and his best work (Dahlgren) wasn't even nominated. Or Starship Troopers over The Sirens of Titan? Really?

Posted by: Lockestep | Tuesday October 5, 2010 at 6:27 AM

WWW.Wake is the only one on the list I've read, and if that was the best then I weep for the Hugo.

Posted by: guest | Tuesday October 5, 2010 at 6:53 AM

KindleClay: "I've been a SciFi reader for close to 60 years and the last decade of HUGO's have been a denigration to Heinlein/Asimov/Clarke/Leiber/et al!"

Could not agree with you more. Any Hugo winner used to be a guaranteed page turner that also caused you to think.

I picked up a novel about a week ago that had the hugo winner imprimateur on it and was deeply disappointed - too long by a third, boring, and ultimately depressing as hell (not that depressing is necessarily bed - read "Sea of Glass")

It's as bad as the 70s.

Oh well, one thing you learn is that nothing lasts forever...

Posted by: West | Tuesday October 5, 2010 at 7:39 AM