The Gendarme's Mark T. Mustian on Omnivoracious Reading

Markmustian1

As we noted on MondayMark T. Mustian's The Gendarme tackles those most difficult of subjects for fiction: genocide, war, cruelty, and love. Narrated by the 92-year-old Emmett Conn, a Turkish immigrant to the United States, the novel follows Conn from the present into the past and a welter of ever-clearer memories of the protagonist's role in the Armenian genocide in 1915.

The novel comes with glowing blurbs from the likes of Robert Olen Butler, Bob Shacochis, Sandra Dallis, and Atom Egoyan, and already has been picked up for reprint in several countries, including Greece, Spain, Brazil, Italy, Israel, and France.

We'll hear one last time from Mustian--about his own "corollary to the Franzen/Piccoult-Weiner dustup"--but for now here's more on omnivoracious reading. (Also check out Mustian on research and experience.)

What is the key ingredient of challenging people that enables them to succeed?Why do they endure the hard times when others are overcome by them? Why do they win when other people shed? Why do they soar when other people sink?

Posted by: jordan 12 | Sunday November 7, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Reading is my habit since I was in high school,but since the computer came,I'd rather go on using computer as my past time.But I realize that reading is also the best.

[URL=http://www.textbookspy.com]Compare textbook prices[/URL]

Posted by: rent textbooks | Wednesday September 22, 2010 at 7:12 AM

I tend to agree with Liza: it depends on what you're reading. If it's an airport detective novel, do you really want to read slowly to savor the prose? On the other hand, blowing through Faulkner is missing much of the experience.

Posted by: Mark Mustian | Sunday September 19, 2010 at 8:25 AM

"To each his own pace." I enjoy reading just about anything that crosses my path and usually have a couple of books and several mags going at any given time. However, I'm a slow reader. Often, I find myself reading the same paragraph two or three times over until it sinks in. I read ever single word. I can pick up a book I read years ago, open it to any given page and remember reading that page. Conversely, my brother is able to read multiple novels or non fiction books a week, and recall them just as well if not better than I. I cannot for the life of me understand how he does it, but it matter not. We both learned the joys of reading early in life, and both consider it a great gift.

Posted by: Matthew | Saturday September 18, 2010 at 6:05 AM

It depends on what type of book you are reading whether three is too many. Some books are fast food with average prose and not much scenery to stop and savor. I've read entire books of those sorts in a single airplane trip. Next please! However, the best books are meant to be slowly absorbed with frequent pauses to enjoy the beauty of their prose. Sadly these are the books that are becoming endangered in a fast food culture.

Posted by: Liza | Friday September 17, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Do you think that's what Jason was saying? I sort of skimmed it.

Posted by: A. Petra | Friday September 17, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Jason, apparently you AREN'T actually reading as you just said exactly what the author wrote. :) Perhaps you're reading too many books in a week? :D

Posted by: Ken | Friday September 17, 2010 at 7:18 AM

Great advice, though I do take issue with the author's admonition that if you only read three books per week, 'you're not really reading'. I won't take umbrage and be all sensitive about it, but some of us aren't really fast readers. I manage between 40 and 50 books per year and feel as if my life is full of reading, ideas, and characters.

I could turn it around and say "if you read three or more book per week, you're obviously not reading them in-depth enough to get anything out of them- slow down!"

To each his own pace, right? :)

Posted by: jason | Friday September 17, 2010 at 6:59 AM

What a great introduction to yourself and the book! I will keep my eyes out for it. As for Kindling during a hearing --I am sure you won't be the only one. Best wishes.

Posted by: Owen Hughes | Friday September 17, 2010 at 6:16 AM