YA Wednesday: A Conversation Between Libba Bray and… Libba Bray

As you’ve probably already realized, one of our goals for the YA Wednesday column is to bring young adult fans (and general readers!) closer to new and established authors through cool interviews, playlists, and other content. So when YA author extraordinaire (and Michael L. Printz Award winner for Going Bovine) Libba Bray agreed to interview, um, Libba Bray, how could we say no? After all, no one else can really get to the heart of Libba than… Libba herself. So she talks to herself and us about her newest novel, Beauty Queens (available May 24), a snort-inducing and uproarious mixture of Lost, Lord of the Flies, and the Miss America pageant (yes, you read that last part correctly). Incorporating her well-known wit and sharp observations about today’s culture, Bray’s new novel is about more than a plane crash full of pretties gone awry—it, as Bray explains below, “satirizes consumer culture, reality TV, politics, rom-coms, the beauty industry, and religion while exploring issues of gender, race, sexuality, beauty, and identity.”

Here to explain more about Texas pride, being called an “eco-friendly fembot,” and the benefits of Beauty Queens on one’s skin is none other than Bray & Bray.

Q: Hi Libba. I understand that today I have the opportunity to interview you. Er, me. Us?
A: Will this be on the test?
Q: God, I hope not. How about I’ll be “Q” and you’ll be “A.”
A: Sure. Figures you’d get to be the exotic, Scrabble-tastic letter. Mom always liked you best.

The article is worth reading,Thank you very much! I will keep your new articles.

Posted by: oakley glasses | Tuesday May 29, 2012 at 2:17 AM

What would it take for you to write a sequel to the Gemma Doyle Trilogy? It could be the first book in another Gemma Doyle Trilogy in the USA/NYC or an Adult Gemma Doyle Trilogy. I am a 61 year old educated adult who fell in direct love with this trilogy, and I do look forward to the possibility of the revival of this young lady and her unlikely love's continuing story. I am surprised that someone else has not attempted to continue with your Gemma Doyle storyline as it has wonderful potential. I was so immersed in that story, that I behaved in an addictive manner until completion of the three. Please consider this request for all your adoring fans.

Posted by: vicki anderson | Thursday February 9, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Libba Bray also commented on a book about she created that it is updated version of a previous book.

Posted by: How to Smart a Small Business | Monday November 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I think what gets me feeling itchy is all that emphasis on the facts of a life, while all the juicy, relevant, human oddity stuff gets left on the cutting room floor.

Posted by: Events Management Courses Gold Coast | Monday November 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM

i read this book a while ago when i had read going bovine and wanted more from that awesome author. the best! LIBBA BRAY: if you are reading this, please note that i cannot live without your books!!!

Posted by: annabeth-crazed (familiar? probably not. but check me out) | Wednesday July 6, 2011 at 7:20 AM

i made my own play list...Bad Reputation/Joan Jett And The Blackhearts, Unpretty/TLC, Island Girl/Bobby Valentino, The Queen/Lady Gaga, There She Is, Miss America/Bernie Wayne, Beauty Contest/No Doubt, Stupid Girls/Pink, High Heels/Keri Hilson, Someone Else's Dream/Faith Hill, Just a Girl/ No Doubt........please keep in mind, i just looked at the lyrics for most of these. i have no idea what most of them sound like. i'm sorry if this playlist spoils anything for you.

Posted by: anonymous | Sunday July 3, 2011 at 1:24 PM

this book is AMAZING!i mean, come on, what could be better than ass kicking beauty queens? (language ms. California! you owe me a quarter! oh, just read the book.) nothing. that's what. well maybe sexy pirates and hair remover that doubles as an explosive....again, read the book.

Posted by: eloise | Sunday July 3, 2011 at 12:23 PM

You are always the author, the person to crack me up. I didn't think it was possible for a human bein to contain as much humerous jokes as you have shared with your fans.

You're awesome.

Posted by: Stephanie S | Thursday June 30, 2011 at 9:42 PM

DON'T read Elaina Palincsar's comment (the one above mine) --- it has a spoiler in it!!

SHAME ON YOU, ELAINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | Wednesday June 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I can't believe you left Taylor stranded on that island. Not even a project future for her. Dang and Damn you. Make up something.

Posted by: Elaina Palincsar | Wednesday June 1, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Oh, Libba. Too Lovely. Beauty Queens! I must read you!

Posted by: Franca | Friday May 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I loved this interview, Libba is so freaking funny =) hehhe love the fembot comment, totally awesome :P I can't wait to read Beauty Queens!!!

Posted by: Audrey | Thursday May 5, 2011 at 8:56 PM