OPEN BOOK: "No Easy Day" is about a lot more than Osama Bin Laden

By Sara Nelson

No-easyI am not a fan of publishing embargoes, the system by which publishers withhold “special” books from readers until an arbitrarily chosen date so as to “control” the noise and discussion around that book. Purveyors of this all-too-common practice will tell you that they do it for pragmatic reasons: because the book is about to be excerpted or the author interviewed in a major media outlet -- and that the embargo is part of the deal. Some will also admit that embargoes are a way of heightening interest; the withheld book becomes the one everybody is talking about, the one you can’t wait to get your hands on. The thing is: embargoes often backfire. More often than not, the withheld book, when finally revealed, is a disappointment, its few and feeble “gems” ultimately disappointments to our fevered, embargo-fueled desires.

Such is not the case with No Easy Day by Mark Owen, with Kevin Maurer. The title, which (as you surely know by now) is billed as a book about how an elite group of Navy SEALS killed Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan on May 2, 2011. As could have been predicted, some news outlets obtained early copies of the book, which goes on sale today. (Note: there are reporters out there who spend inordinate amounts of time tracking down supposedly “unavailable copies;” it may be the one growth industry within journalism.) And many, many reporters jumped on the revelations: about whether Bin Laden was armed or unarmed when the SEALS found him, about how they got confirmation that it was, in fact, Bin Laden that they’d just killed; about--and this is the biggie--whether “Mark Owen” (a pseudonym) compromised American intelligence by writing this book in the first place.

Those things are important, sure. But what just about nobody has yet said about this book is that the first 2/3 of it aren’t even about Bin Laden--and that it’s largely that 2/3 that makes No Easy Day a fascinating read.

After reading the comments above I understand why America is having the difficulties it is having. We don't all agree, but what is missing is the ability to agree to disagree. Why all the mean fighting. We need to come together as a nation and work together and stop all the bad mouthing of our President. Could you do any better. I don't agree with everything our politicians say, they are politicians and want to be elected. Things are easily taken out of context. Just get out and vote and cross your fingers that things get better and stop fighting.

Posted by: kathy | Monday September 10, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Kate...........really. Lady, even if Karl Rove was behind this, he doesn't have to anything to disparage Obama. Obama is doing that very nicely all by himself.

Posted by: Brett | Sunday September 9, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I recently read "Lone Survivor" and it was truly fascinating in the sense of understanding what heroes our military men and women are. I look forward to reading this book as well and hope the author doesn't get too much grief from our government for the information it contains as our President informed our country and allies of the most kept military secrets including information regarding Seal Team 6 and where they are based. President Obama has put these heroes and their families at great risk. Very few people within the Navy are read into the information pertaining to special operation forces. Every member of Congress including the President should be required to have security clearances and be held to the same standards as our men and women in uniform who would have been jailed for releasing such information pertaining to top secrete operations.

Posted by: Leanne | Wednesday September 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Wow, Karl Rove occupies a lot of rent-free space in Kate's head. Lady, get over it. Karl Rove may have some power in Republican circles, but he is not omnipotent. You have to understand Kate that outside your home there are real people in this country who just don't agree with President Obama. You may not like that or understand it, but it is true. I didn't see 2016, nor do I plan on reading the book - but I can't wait for November 6th so I can vote for Romney/Ryan. President Obama's view of government's role in American lives is just different than mine and that is okay. I don't think that as a single woman I need the government to force my employer or insurer to pay for my birth control. I'm a responsible adult - I can do that for myself. And the list goes on.

And to the SEALs, thank God there are men out there like you to keep us all safe. I can't imagine doing what you do. God bless you all and may He keep you safe.

Posted by: Paula | Tuesday September 4, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Posted by: USA | Tuesday September 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

2016 is a great film and should be seen before the election. It will make you understand where Obama is coming from when it comes to what he is doing/not doing while in the White House.
As for this book, I will be anxious to read it.
Why is it when anything negative but true comes out about Obama, someone thinks it is "dirty tricks." It is obvious to me,that Kate is not from Illinois or Chicago. This is how the Chicago Democratic party works. It is blame someone else but it is never their fault and Chicago Democrats will do "anything" to get their point across including telling lies!

Posted by: Donna | Tuesday September 4, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I don't know who the SEALS are, I have no need to know and I don't care to know. But, I'm damn glad they're on our side, or my side at least. If any intelligence secrets are revealed in this book, then shame on the author for publishing them. If any SEALS happen across this post, "Thanks guys, I appreciate what you've done for our country, and keep up the good work."

Posted by: Schwartz | Tuesday September 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I think this is part of Karl Rove's plan to disparage Obama. This man was most likely paid by Karl Rove's Super Pac to write it.

The same with the anti-Obama film documentary that is in theaters this month. Another Karl Rove Super Pac most likely bankrolled the film. Strange that it should be released at this time, wouldn't you say, after the GOP kicked up such a fuss about the Hollywood female producer doing a film about Osama Bin Laden, which was due to be released October, but had to be pushed back until December (all because of accusations of 'foul' by the GOP, for releasing too close to an election).

It's all about GOP dirty tricks - Karl Rove is directing it all.

Posted by: Kate | Tuesday September 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM