Writers Don't Cry 2012 Picks: Five Books for Writers

Writersdontcry WDC PicksWriters crave a steady diet of fierce, thoughtful, and heartbreakingly well-worded books. These books should have the paragraph structure of the gods, dialogue to die for, and a narrative voice you would follow through gates of hell (though it would never lead you there). And it is through enjoying and analyzing these rare and inspired books that writers can best hone their craft.

But which books in particular are good examples of such technical expertise? Well, you could make the argument that you can learn something from just about every book you read—brilliant or not so brilliant. And that even if something is not to your taste, there is something to be gleaned there. But, I have to say, I prefer to learn while enjoying my pants off.

So! To that end, I’ve put together a list of five books I think make great studies for writers. Now, I understand that traditionally, these lists are temporally discriminatory, in order to keep Harry Potter, Twilight, and George R. R. Martin from ruling the world (or rather, this corner of it). However, since I don’t just read books that came out this year, this is not going to be such a list. Instead, I will attempt to immortalize five (just five!) of the many inspiring and instructive books I read this year. (Or maybe the year before. Hey, it’s my first list, cut me a little slack!)

May I present, in no particular order, five books for writers, how I found them, what they’re about, and what you can learn by studying them.

Best of luck . i hope that the money will not adjust you guys as well as the firm . help save in which pertaining to consume and some other waste money . don’t allow it to drip up to your products

Posted by: ibaikaltablet | Thursday May 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Posted by: jim | Tuesday January 29, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Hoping you can give us more content on this aspect!So we will be good friends in the future!If you want know me more...Just come here!http://www.rs2cheap.com/ Big surprise!

Posted by: rs gold | Tuesday January 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Vannak különböző álláshelyet megléte mellett ez, azt hiszem, ott figyelembe hivatkozni lehetne tapasztalat tette ezt a helyet vagy a tárgy nagyon informatív. Gyakorlati cél kifejezés tetszik gyenge minőségű.

Posted by: burberry pas cher | Thursday January 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The Filipino chinese is on my reading list. Good to read something from the perspective of a slightly different culture.

Posted by: imagine story | Wednesday November 21, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Harry Potter and Twilight step aside! There are five very serious books to be enjoyed here. Thanks!

Posted by: Howard Sherman | Tuesday November 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I read your blog...it's my honor, hope you can have more good newsin here!Welcome to MMolive.com!http://www.mmohome.com/ and http://www.mmolive.com/ is your best friend,Buy MapleStory Mesos,MOP Key,Guild Wars 2 Gold,welcome!

Posted by: Holu Callouse | Monday November 19, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Hi Brom: That's true! And I probably could have put him down for "framing device" and "control/release of information" as well. There's a lot that is remarkable about The Name of the Wind.

Posted by: Susan J. Morris | Monday November 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I just wanted to add one comment about "The Name of the Wind." You said it starts at the beginning, but really, it starts much later than that, and that's one of the things I find remarkable about it. The books use a framing device for the narrative, with Kvothe narrating his own story from sometime later. We can tell that something has happened to him, but we don't know what. So while the story he tells is interesting in itself, we're also looking for clues about what will be coming later.

Posted by: Brom | Monday November 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM