Today the American Library Association announced the winners of the biggest children's book awards of the year at a ceremony here in Seattle. It was really exciting to be in the audience with publishers, authors, librarians and booksellers as we all waited anxiously to see if any of our favorites made the list and each announcement was greeted by a "love bomb" of applause.
2013 is the 75th anniversary of one of the most prestigious awards, the Randolph Caldecott award for illustration and I could not have been more thrilled when they announced that This Is Not My Hat, my own number one pick for the Best Picture Book of 2012, was the winner. Author and illustrator Jon Klassen also took home a second win, a Caldecott Honor for his illustration of Extra Yarn.
The One and Only Ivan took home the Newbery Medal for children's literature and is so deserving of the prize. Ivan made our Best Middle Grade Books of 2012 list with its touching narrative and memorable characters--it is right at home with other classic animal stories of friendship and courage.
Here is the full list of the winners and honor books for 2013's Caldecott and Newbery Medals. You can see more 2013 Children's Book award winners here.
Randolph Caldecott Medal: This year there were an astonishing four Honor books in addition to the winner
- This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen - Winner!
- Extra Yarn written by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen - Honor
- One Cool Friend written by Toni Buzzeo, illustrated by David Small - Honor
- Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger - Honor
- Sleep Like a Tiger written by Mary Loque, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski - Honor
- The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate - Winner!
- Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage -Honor
- Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin - Honor
- Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz - Honor