It's hard to believe that 2013 is half over--before you know it, we'll be making promises to ourselves about Halloween candy consumption and talking about *shudder* the holidays... But for now, let's just enjoy the moment, because it's been a great six months for new YA books and this week we announced our editors' picks of the 15 Best YA Books of the Year So Far.
Number one on the list? Eleanor and Park. This book made me a Rainbow Rowell fan and (as you may know from a previous post) I couldn't wait for her next one (Fangirl, coming in September). Eleanor and Park brings back the magic of finding first love with someone who really "gets" you, but it's no sugary romance--these are teenagers dealing with real issues and finding their way through them, together. Whether you are 14 or 45, don't miss it.
Now you may be wondering about the rest of the list, hmmm? Well, below are the next 5 and you can go here for the rest. Did we cover your favorite this year?
2. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey - Just yesterday a friend blamed me for her lack of sleep since she stayed up all night to finish this. Action, aliens, romance, and fantastic twists. Enough said.
3. Out of The Easy by Ruta Sepetys - The underworld of 1950s New Orleans comes alive and Ruta Sepetys (Shades of Gray) brings her A game, once again creating complex characters that take up residence in readers' hearts and minds.
4. Requiem by Lauren Oliver - The final book in the Delirium trilogy and it's a stunner. Lena and Hana's dual narration highlights a world still divided, but expect a thrilling conclusion as all the pieces come together.
5. Rapture Practice by Aaron Hartzler - A memoir of coming of age in a fundamentalist family, Hartzler pulls back the curtain on his teen years with generous amounts of humor and heart.
6. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer - Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, is back in Meyer's alternate universe fairy tale that is more steam punk/sci-fi than Grimms Brothers, and Wolf's dangerous magnetism brings a fresh dash of romance to the picnic basket.
See the rest of the list here...