2013 Best Books of the Year: Celebrity Picks

Even now that our many, many enthusiastic discussions have ended and our 2013 Best of the Year list is locked at 100, we're still thinking about the year in books. We can't help it; it's what we love -- reading books, writing about reading books, talking about reading books.

"What are you reading?" and "What books are you loving?" are default for us the way that "Hi!" and "How are you?" are for most folks. We know you, our fellow book junkies, are the same: always open to reading recommendations, intent not to miss a great book for lack of knowing about it.

So, we asked authors to name their favorite title published in 2013, and to recommend two other books from their shelves.

Check out recommendations from:

Helene Wecker
Helene Wecker
Meg Wolitzer
Meg Wolitzer
Markus Zusak
Markus Zusak

Terrible!!! A wasted opportunity. Why would men be over-represented when women buy more romance and mystery and fantasy and Children's books (the best-selling categories!!!).

And why does everyone look alike? Where's the diversity?

An appalling (and uncharacteristic) failure on the part of Amazon.

Posted by: Liz Montpeith | Tuesday March 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM

I'm also dismayed by the lack of diversity. How about Amy Tan, Lisa See, Jacqueline Woodson, Tavis Smiley, Malcolm Gladwell, Jhumpha Lahiri.....
I am pleased to see authors that write for young adults included. That market is blasting wide open with excellent literature for young adults to read that their parents are enjoying as well!

Posted by: Dawn | Sunday December 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I totally agree.....where are the GREAT African-American Authors?????

Posted by: Sharon McMillan | Tuesday December 10, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I need some books for someone who does not like to read to keep him busy over the winter months

Posted by: Ann Strickland | Sunday December 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I did a little experiment, one that I've done before and suggest you try. Show this group of photos to someone and ask them what the people pictured have in common. In my experience, people will say "they're over 40," "they're all sitting," "they all have brown eyes." They will even stretch the truth to come up with an answer. I have tried this sort of "game" with friends and colleagues.

I've used an all-male photo roster from various other displays hoping that someone would notice that women are excluded. I've gotten the same kind of disappointing answers.

I'm flummoxed why no one at Amazon thought it was important to have a more diverse panel of authors. What is most disturbing is that, like the people in my ongoing "game", I suspect that no one at Amazon even noticed.

Posted by: G. Muzio | Sunday December 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Another person surprised at the lack of diversity in the authors featured here...

Posted by: Charisse | Wednesday November 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I agree with Rachael. While I respect all of the authors whose comments are included, I wondered why I didn't see the likes of Walter Mosley, Toni Morrison, Bernice McFadden, Maya Angelou....just to name a few.

Posted by: Denise | Tuesday November 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I would like to see more perspectives from people of different ethnic backgrounds represented here. African American authors DO exist!

Posted by: Rachel | Friday November 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM